This blueberry ginger compote is heavenly. My favorite way to eat it is on waffles and pancakes but it goes great on toast and ice cream as well.
The chia seeds are optional but I love adding them because they make a jam like texture and thickens the compote.
Blueberry Ginger Chia Compote
Vegan | Gluten Free |Soy Free | Nut Free
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 tsp sugar (or more to taste)
1 tsp fresh ginger grated*
1 tsp lemon juice or orange juice
1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
1. Place fruit in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Once bubbling, reduce heat to medium-low and mash the blueberries.
3. Add the sugar, ginger, and citrus juice of choice.
3. Continue cooking over medium-low heat for about 10-12 minutes occassionally stirring.
4. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp chia seeds (optional although I like the texture it provides). Allow to cool completely before storing. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Keeps for about two weeks.
I like to serve compote warm. It can be served either warm or cool.
*You can use ground ginger. Use half the amount (1/2 tsp and taste then modify to your preference).