For those of you who don’t know I’m from North Carolina. Which means there are certain things inherently Southern about me one of which is my love for chicken salad. After giving up animal products that love transferred over to chickpea salad.
This chickpea salad is my take on a traditional Southern chicken salad. From experience it satisfies vegans and meat eaters alike.
Classic Chickpea “Chicken“ Salad
Vegan | Gluten Free | Soy Free Option
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup vegan mayo (soy free if needed)
1 stalk of celery, diced
2 green onions, diced (or chives)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp fresh or dried dill
Pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder to taste (about a healthy pinch of each)
Salt to taste
1. Dice celery and green onion and set aside.
2. Add chickpeas to a medium bowl and with your hands, fork, or a potato masher mash chickpeas until about half of the chickpeas are mashed. You want to leave some texture.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Taste and adjust flavor as needed. Sometimes I like mine to have a stronger Dijon flavor so I add a bit more Dijon. Sometimes I add a touch more paprika.
5. Serve on a sandwich (as pictured), with crackers, or on a salad. Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.