This dish was created out of my desire to veganize something my dad used to make but what I ended up doing was creating a delicious new dish.
I combined some of my favorite ingredients: lentils, mushrooms, and coconut milk to create this creamy, comforting stew.
It also only takes one pot which means less dishes. Win win.
Creamy Mushroom and Lentil Stew
Vegan | Gluten Free | Soy Free
10 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 cup brown or green lentils (I used a mix of both)
1 can full fat coconut milk
2 cups vegetable broth
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Trader Joe’s Vegan Chicken-Less Seasoning Salt or vegan bouillon to taste (optional but highly encouraged)
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1. Slice mushrooms (if not already pre-sliced from the store like mine were) and mince garlic.
2. Heat a large pan over medium high heat and at oil of choice. Add garlic and sauté for about one minute then add mushrooms and continue to sauté until mushrooms have softened.
3. Add lentils, sage, thyme, pepper, and vegetable broth to pan with mushrooms and stir to combine. Place lid and let it come to a boil, then turn heat down to a soft simmer. The lentils will take about 20-25 minutes to fully cook.
4. When the lentils are fully cooked add the coconut milk and stir to combine. Turn the heat back up to medium and the chicken-less seasoning salt (or bouillon) I’d say about 1/2 tbsp or more and allow the liquid to thicken.
5. Taste and adjust flavor accordingly including adding salt. I like a lot of pepper in this dish so I end up adding quite a bit more at this stage.
6. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta.
7. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.