This crispy baked tofu recipe is almost too good to be true. Every time I make it I’m reminded why I love it so much. The sauce crisps up like a dream and the tofu stays tender.
How to use it:
As a snack
With noodle dishes
However your heart desires
What you'll need:
My unbeatable peanut sauce recipe, a block of extra firm tofu, a large mixing bowl, and a large sheet pan. Once you've gathered those things you're ready to party.
An important note:
Each brand of tofu is different. I find that most tofu takes about 30 minutes total. The sauce starts to get a good crisp around the 30 minute mark. I don't recommend pre-baking the tofu.
Crispy Baked Peanut Butter Tofu
Vegan | Gluten Free
1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
2 tbsp coconut aminos
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tbsp lime juice
1+ tbsp chili garlic sauce
1 large clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp grated ginger
Maple syrup or agave to sweeten (about 1 tbsp)
Splash of Tamari or liquid aminos (or use Tamari instead of coconut aminos)
Hot water to thin
1 block extra firm tofu
1. Press tofu (important step)
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Double batch if you want extra for whatever your using it for (example Buddha bowls).
4. Dice tofu into cubes.
5. Toss cubed tofu into peanut sauce and thoroughly coat.
6. Gently put tofu cubes onto sheet pan. I recommend not dumping the bowl onto the sheet pan but instead using a spoon to lay them on. That way you save sauce for when you flip them halfway through.
7. Put the tofu in the oven and set a timer for 15 minutes.
8. After time has gone off flip the tofu and put extra sauce if desired. Place back in oven and set another time for 15 minutes.
9. After timer goes off check to see that the sauce has browned and crisped up. If it has not check the firmness of the tofu. If it is still sauce you can give it another 5-10 minutes.
Make sure you use extra firm tofu and you’re pressing the tofu well. That is key to getting a good crisp on the sauce and not burning it.