Buffalo sauce - spicy, saucy, and dare I say sexy? I’ll say it. Who’s gonna stop me.
As someone who has food allergies to both gluten and corn I thought my days of having delicious breaded goodies were over. Thankfully I was wrong. Arrowroot starch is a great swap for corn starch and there are companies making amazing alternatives like the Panko breadcrumbs I used in this recipe. These crispy baked buffalo tofu sticks wowed people in my life who have no dietary restrictions.
Do yourself a favor and spice up your life with these buffalo tofu sticks.
Crispy Buffalo Tofu Sticks
Vegan | Gluten Free | Corn Starch Free | Nut Free Option
1 package extra firm tofu (I like Trader Joe’s High Protein Tofu)
3 tbsp arrowroot starch*
1/4 cup plant milk (I used almond/use oat for a nut free option)
1 cup gluten free bread crumbs (I used Ian’s)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
Dash of black pepper
6 tbsp Franks RedHot
6 tbsp melted vegan butter
1. Combine buffalo sauce ingredients in a medium/large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Create breadcrumbs mixture by combining all ingredients in a small and mixing.
3. Preheat oven to 425.
4. Press any extra water out of your tofu before slicing you want it to be firm.* Cut lengthwise and width wise. You will get about 5-6 rows width-wise and 3 rows length wise.
5. Place arrowroot and plant milk in their own separate shallow bowls. Then put about 1/3 of the breadcrumbs onto a plate or a third shallow bowl. You will add more as you go.
6. Dip each tofu stick into the starch, then milk, then roll/cover in breadcrumbs. Then place onto a baking sheet keeping them about a half inch apart.
Tip: Use one hand for the starch and milk and the other for the breadcrumbs this keeps clumps from forming.
7. When all the tofu sticks have been breaded and are on the sheet tray you will bake them for 25 minutes. After the 25 minute mark you will flip them and put them back in for 10 minutes.
8. Once they are crispy to your liking toss them in the sauce. I like to do this one at a time as not to possibly break them but do you!
9. Serve immediately. Might I suggest over a kale Caesar salad? (Pictured)
To keep leftovers crispy reheat them in the oven at 425 for about 5-10 minutes. You can microwave but the breading may get soggy.
If you make this recipe tag @vexkitchen on Instagram. I love to see your creations!