I love salsa. A few months ago I decided to teach myself how to make different variations. There are seemingly endless variations of the same salsa which I find fascinating and beautiful. This recipe is my take on classic salsa roja.
What you'll need:
The best part about making salsa at home is you can customize it to your liking and make as much as you want. I have tripled this batch before because I adore it.
You can add as much or as little jalapeño as your heart desires. I like to add two whole jalapeños but feel free to dial back or add more. This is your salsa. It can be as spicy or mild as you prefer.
Serrano peppers would be great in this salsa as well. Feel free to play around. This salsa is a great base to start from.
How easy is this salsa?
1. Dice onion
2. Half the tomatoes and jalapeño and add them to your blender
3. Add garlic to blender
4. Pulse until you get a salsa-like texture (see photo above)
5. Sauté onion in oil until they start to turn translucent then add salsa mixture
6. Bring salsa to a boil over medium heat then remove from heat and add cilantro and salt to taste. Enjoy warm or chilled.
Once you've added your desired amount of cilantro (I like an absurd amount) and salt.
How to enjoy salsa roja:
With tortilla chips, tacos/burritos/quesadillas, tofu scramble, burrito bowls, mac and cheese, nachos, casseroles, and lots more.
After you make this one time you will be finding reasons to make it again.
Easy Salsa Roja
Vegan | Gluten Free | Soy Free | Nut Free
High speed blender
Three large Roma tomatoes or four smaller ones
1/4 large sweet onion
1/2-2 jalapeño(s), I use two
1 large clove garlic
1/4 bunch cilantro
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
1. Dice onion and cilantro and set aside.
2. Halve tomatoes and jalapeño(s) and place in blender along with garlic. Pulse into desired salsa texture (see photo above). Make sure to pulse it enough so there are not large chunks of garlic/jalapeño.
3. Heat pan over medium heat then add olive oil and diced onion and cook until they start to become translucent then add salsa mixture. Allow salsa mixture to come to a boil over medium heat.
4. Remove from heat and add desired amount of cilantro and salt. Enjoy warm or chilled. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
If you make this recipe tag @vexkitchen on Instagram. I love to see your creations!