Mac and cheese has always been my go-to comfort food which is why I refused to believe the perfect vegan gluten free version couldn't be done.
This mac and cheese takes the traditional mac and cheese method but utilizes vegan and gluten free ingredients. No cashews, carrots, or potatoes required. It comes together in less than 30 minutes noodle cook time included.
What do you need?
1. Gluten free macaroni noodles - Can be subbed for regular macaroni noodles.
2. Vegan cheese - This is the important part. As we all know not all vegan cheese are created equal. Some melt better than others. I recommend using shreds over slices and using a higher quality vegan cheese because the result will be worth it. You can use two different types of cheese if you prefer as well.
3. Gluten free flour - This is what you will use to make your roux.
4. Vegan butter - Also needed to make the roux.
5. Plant milk - This is the liquid that is added to the roux that becomes the base for the cheese sauce. I have used oat and almond and both work great.
6. Seasoning - Don't skip this step. It may seem like you don't need to add anything but seasoning is non-negotiable. I prefer to add garlic powder and Cajun seasoning.
How to make the vegan gluten free roux:
Thankfully the process is exactly the same as the traditional method. If you have made a traditional roux with butter, white wheat flour, and liquid you will find the consistency differs but the result is similar. For those of you who have never made a roux don't fret you got this.
Step 1. Melt vegan butter of choice over medium low heat. As always high quality vegan butter yields better results.
Step 2. Add gluten free flour blend and stir with wooden spoon in a figure eight position constantly for about 3-5 minutes. Note: If you find your roux is somewhat thin that is okay we are creating a gooey cheese sauce.
Step 3. Get your whisk ready and add in plant milk and whisk until fully combined.
Let's talk vegan cheese.
I suggest you use high quality vegan shreds but most brands work in this recipe. I used cheddar shreds in this recipe but you can use two different varieties that's delicious as well.
You won't believe how quick and easy this mac and cheese is. The boxed stuff will no longer compare. You will be impressing non-vegans and non-gluten free eaters alike.
Vegan Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
Vegan | Gluten Free | Soy Free
Servings: approximately 4
8 oz gluten free macaroni
2 cups vegan cheese shreds, I used cheddar
2 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp gluten free flour
1 cup plant milk, I used almond
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning, plus more for topping
1. Cook macaroni according to instructions and set aside.
2. To make the roux heat a heavy bottom pot over medium low heat and add vegan butter. When butter is full melted add gluten free flour, using a wooden spoon stir to combine using a figure eight motion consistently cooking for approximately 3-5 minutes until the roux is creamy, then grab a whisk and add the plant milk. Whisk to fully combine.
3. Add the vegan cheese shreds, seasonings, and whisk until fully incorporated and creamy. This may take a few minutes.
4. Finally, add the macaroni noodles. Taste and adjust flavor as desired adding salt if preferred. Turn off heat. Enjoy immediately. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you make this recipe tag @vexkitchen on Instagram. I love to see your creations!