Do you want a vegan gluten free banana bread recipe that doesn’t suck? I got you.
I have spent countless hours in my kitchen trying different variations of banana bread recipes. I wanted a delicious vegan gluten free banana bread that didn't have 15+ ingredients and didn't some use obscure flour no one actually has in their pantry.
What do you need?
Overripe bananas, coconut oil, cane sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, gluten free flour blend, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
My banana bread is reminiscent of 'Grandma's banana bread.' I've had countless people tell me they could neither tell it was vegan nor gluten free.
Make sure your bananas are overripe. While you can technically use ripe or under ripe bananas you will not achieve that distinct banana flavor you want out of a banana bread.
Let's talk gluten free flours.
I have tried about 5 different gluten free flour blends in this recipe and they have all worked. The key is xanthan gum. I have found that Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Blend yields a consistent result each time. If you use Pillsbury Gluten Free Flour Blend you will want to keep an eye on it near the end to make sure it doesn't over bake.
You can use coconut sugar or other sugars although I cannot vouch for anything other than cane, brown, and coconut sugar. I suggest using light brown sugar as dark brown sugar is too heavy in this recipe.
Do you want a straight forward get to the point decadent banana bread? Me too. Let’s get baking.
The Best Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread
Vegan | Gluten Free | Soy Free | Nut Free Option
Three overripe medium bananas
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp melted coconut oil (or other mild oil like avocado but I prefer coconut)
1/3 cup cane sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups gluten free flour blend (must contain xanthan gum see above for notes on flours)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Optional add-ins: vegan chocolate chips or walnuts (pictured)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mash bananas
2. Add melted coconut oil, both sugars, and vanilla to mashed banana and mix until combined.
3. Add gluten free flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon directly to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Dough will be thick. It is supposed to be like that.
4. Add mix-ins if using them.
5. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
6. Transfer dough to lined pan making sure the dough is evenly distributed.
7. Optional: top with a sprinkle of brown sugar.
8. Bake at 350 on the middle rack for 50 minutes.
9. Let cool completely before cutting into it.
10. Slice and enjoy. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
If you make this recipe tag @vexkitchen on Instagram. I love to see your creations!