I had to find out how my vegan tuna salad would hold up as a tuna melt. I had a good feeling but I wasn’t prepared for just how delicious it was going to be. I took one bite and devoured it standing over the counter.
Use your favorite bread, vegan cheese, and toppings and do yourself a favor and make one stat!
Vegan Tuna Melt
Vegan | Gluten Free Option
Two slices bread of choice (gluten free if needed)
Vegan cheese (I used darë)
Vegan butter or olive oil
Avocado, tomato, lettuce, arugula, cucumber
Tips on cook time for bread and getting melty vegan cheese in notes.
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Using a silicone spatula lightly butter a section of a sheet pan with vegan butter of choice (or sub olive oil).
3. Place bread on sheet pan and add desired amount of vegan tuna salad and cheese to one side of bread. Be warned the more vegan tuna salad you add the messier it will be.
4. Place the sheet pan on the rack second from the top in the oven and set a timer for 5-10 minutes.
5. When the timer goes off check that the bread is browned and the cheese is melty. Add your toppings and enjoy!
Bread tips: If you’re using a dense bread like rye it may not need a full 10 minutes. Some gluten free breads may need more than 10 minutes to crisp up. That’s okay the tuna salad will hold up.
1. Vegan cheese may need about 30 seconds under broil to fully melt.
2. Add tuna salad to both sides and add tomato under the cheese prior to baking to enjoy it open faced as well!
If you make this or any other VEX Kitchen recipes please tag @vexkitchen on Instagram.